Strenuous outdoor activities like hiking, camping and mountaineering place excessive demands on your footwear. And unless you manage to wear the right ones, you will end up returning home with sore, tired feet and torn shoes. Indeed, a heavy duty burly pair of boots is your only respite when you are miles away from home exploring off-beaten paths and making your way through the woods. A decent pair of hiking boots gives you confidence for walking on loose gravel and slick rocks, and keeps your feet both warm and dry while you tread on wetlands and river streams.
Most Durable Hiking Boots for Any Trail
Hiking boots are generally categorized according to the trail surfaces they are designed for. When it comes to buying the right type, comfort should always prevail over design and aesthetics. No matter how chic or gorgeous those boots are, if they are too loose to offer adequate support or feel too hard to walk on, your hike will end up being a miserable journey rather than an enjoyable one. In addition to comfort, other issues to take into account are stability, moisture resistance, warmth and durability.
Fit is also an important consideration because ultimately the amount of support the boots can provide depends upon how well they wrap around your feet. When selecting shoes according to the hiking terrain and conditions, you have to decide whether you will go hiking on a regular trail, off-trail or rough trail. Your regular pair of sneakers may get you through a short day hike lasting for a few hours but if you are intending to climb high peaks with a heavy backpack for quite a few days, you are better off with a pair of boots that are specifically dedicated to meet the rigors of hiking.
Whatever be your needs, these ten best men’s hiking boots for 2018 are sure to leave you flattered:
1. Merrell Men’s Moab Ventilator Mid Hiking Boot
With a potent combination of nylon ventilator upper and a mid-height dura leather, these Merrell Men’s boots personify their name to the max! They combine breathability, support and flexibility in equal parts to deliver long-lasting performance on track and keep your feet comfy and protected in the process. Powerful, trail-specific lugs and air-cushioned heel pockets are two of its strengths that set it apart from thousands of run-of-the-mill hiking boots abuzz in the market.
- The boot features nylon mesh linings that disperse excess moisture and keep your feet dry in hot conditions
- There is extra cushioning in the form of full-length EVA midsoles that absorb the shock and fatigue of hiking for long hours.
- There are air cushion heel pockets that make the boots as flexible as running shoes and help to stabilize footstrike, thereby lowering the chances of unforeseen slips and falls.
- The outsoles are particularly impressive, with unique indentations to avoid the chances of slippage. They are resilient enough to lend dependable traction on dry and wet terrains.
- The round rubber toe on the upper guarantees protection to the toes from abrasion.
- The heel has a loop aid that simplifies the process of pulling the boots on and off as per your convenience.
- One major factor that could probably keep you from buying these boots is that they are not waterproof. As a result, you might get your feet wet while crossing any streams or walking on rain puddles. Nevertheless, these boots tend to dry out faster than what you’ll expect.
- Another downside is that the EVA midsoles of the boots have a short life. They tend to flatten over time, but the good news is that they are removable and you can always replace them if needed.
Replete with killer outsoles, EVA midsoles, cutting-edge padded tongues and perforated uppers, these Merrell boots are designed to perform exceptionally well in varied terrain. . If you are looking for a nice lightweight boot to wear for your summer hikes and don’t really care about getting your feet wet, then you should certainly opt for the Merrell Moab Ventilator boots.
2. Timberland White Ledge Men’s Waterproof Boot
It’s easy to see why this boot is the best-selling hiking footwear on Amazon. For starters, it is multi-purpose, meaning it’s use can be extended to all sorts of environments and activities, from leisure walking to traversing along rugged trails. In fact, they are so comfortable that you can take a power nap without even taking them off! Moreover, they are covered with a waterproof leather lining that makes them resilient to the effects of weather. All the seams are sealed tightly to prevent any untoward tears from abrasion.
- Despite being made of full grain premium leather, these boots are surprisingly lightweight and easy to break in.
- The padding around the upper tongue and ankle is nice and thick, so you will hardly feel any discomfort while walking over rocks and roots. To top it all, there is sufficient protection around the toe area, so that you don’t end up stubbing your foot upon encountering an obstacle.
- On the inside, the boot features a detachable dual-density EVA insole that provides adequate cushioning during long periods of hiking. It’s perforated as well, in order to allow air circulation and keep your feet dry and odorless.
- The outsole too is designed to withstand the rigors of rough terrain. It is made of solid rubber and comes equipped with multi-directional lugs to give you full support and flexibility while covering difficult hiking trails.
- One of the few letdowns of the boot is that it’s sole is a bit too flexible. This can be a problem when you are hiking for long hours on rough terrain.
- The boot is not the best choice of footwear for climbing mountains. For such situations, you are better off with boots that have a stiffer construction and a harder sole.
Overall, it would be fair to say that these White Ledge boots do deliver what they promise. They are best suited for outdoor activities like hiking, walking, jogging, working in the garden and working out in the gym. And while they are not good enough for hard-core mountaineering, they do have the potential to offer years of satisfactory usage before needing a replacement.
3. Ariat Men’s Terrain H2O Hiking Boot
Whether you want to climb the rocky mountains or make your way through the woods, this boot has got you covered. Made of full grain, oiled leather on top, it is designed to provide ample toe space and plenty of room for your feet to breathe. Additionally, it features synthetic soles that are so light that they won’t drag you down and instead feel like you are getting a massage as you walk.
- The boots feature the cutting-edge waterproof Pro technology that keeps the water out and enhances the comfort quotient during long hikes in unfavorable environments.
- The sole embodies the ATS technology and provides support and stability to the foot, thereby reducing fatigue and negating the chance of developing blisters.The boots reach all the way to the ankles, and the shaft is located roughly fives inches from the arch. That is why they are capable of providing proper protection to the foot and ankle.
- The upper body is well-oiled and made of waterproof leather. As a result, they are durable and apt for rough use.
- The general consensus is that the boot is somewhat stiff and doesn’t give the desired flexibility to climb mountain slopes or walk along steep terrain.
- These boots are not suitable for treading on snow.
Ariat Terrain H2O Hiking boots may not be the ultimate answer for hiking in all sorts of terrains, but they are certainly a good choice for people who want to add stylish, lightweight and supportive hiking footwear to their collection.
4. Dunham Men’s Cloud Mid-Cut
Dunham Men’s Cloud Mid-Cut is a high-quality hiking boot that is sure to make your tryts with nature comfortable and memorable, all for the right reasons! They offer great traction and support to tired feet and are essentially waterproof. Plus they are slip-resistant and enhance the confidence of traversing along tricky hiking trails. In fact, these Dunhams are among the most comfortable and budget-friendly boots currently available in the market.
- Dunham boots have a cutting-edge EVA midsole that provides support and absorbs shock as you walk over diverse hiking trails.
- The midsole has a novel fiberglass stability shank that supports your foot arch and helps you adopt a smoother gait, thereby reducing the stress of trudging during long hikes.
- There is a memory foam footbed too, for improving the level of comfort experienced when traveling for long hours. These Dunham boots also have supreme rear foot stability, in order to offset the excess pressure you place on your heel while walking.
- The mid-cut collar design of the boot translates into sufficient anke support, thereby increasing your faith in your ability to overcome difficult hikes.
- Some users have reported that the stitching of the boot’s is a little fragile and tends to come apart with time. However, a quick run to the cobbler and that should be fine.
All in all, these new Dunham boots are robust, durable and suitable for your outdoor ventures. They are definitely one of the best you will ever own and are sure to win you over with their comfortable grip and steady make.
5. Vasque Men’s Talus Trek Ultradry Hiking Boot
The rigors of hiking are different for different seasons, but the requirement for managing them remain the same — high-quality hiking boots that offer a combination of support, comfort and traction in equal measures. The Vasque Talus Trek UltraDry does just that. It meets all your expectations with aplomb and quits on trail only when you decide to.
- Unlike many rigid hiking boots, the Vasque Talus Trek UltraDry feels pliable enough to wrap naturally around your feet and bend as and when needed without feeling flimsy or loose. In other words, this means you don’t have to spend extra time breaking in a pair of these boots.
- The boots are durable and offer adequate support, so you won’t skid or slip every time when hiking on bare rock, gravel or dirt. You can also trudge on wet rocks without any difficulty.
- Another desirable aspect about the Vasque Talus Trek UltraDry is that it consistently keeps the water out while staying breathable in the process. This means your feet can release moisture and remain dry.
- These boots are fashioned to accommodate wide feet easily.
- They are pretty lightweight and a good choice if you are planning on lugging a big backpack for your day hike.
- Tying up the boots can be a bit of a problem as the tongues can’t seem to stay in place.
- Secondly, the fabric groove that traps water by the tongue is way too short. This increases the risk of letting water in during a heavy downpour.
Vasque Men’s Talus Trek Ultradry offers the same features as your ordinary hiking boot, albeit in revamped versions. They are designed for hard-core hiking, running and mountaineering and manage to strike a nice balance between support and flexibility without compromising on the comfort quotient. Whether you are beginner-level hiker or a adventure buff, these boots won’t disappoint!
6. Merrell Men’s Phoenix Bluff Mid Waterproof Hiking Shoe
A high-quality mid-high boot designed for general outdoor activities, the Merrell Phoenix Bluff is built to conquer rocky terrain, gravel and tricky roots without fail. They are made of waterproof leather and integrate air cushioning that allow you to walk and stand all day without feeling even the slightest degree of discomfort. The Vibram soles are aimed at absorbing shock from treading on uneven surfaces, and bend naturally with the curvature of your feet as you hike.
- The rubber sole is sturdy yet flexible, so much so that climbing steep angles such as mountain slopes seems as easy as climbing a small flight of stairs!
- The strategic position of the shaft from the arch ensures adequate support to the ankle area, as well as maximum support to get grip over shaky surfaces.
- There is a bellow tongue on the upper of the boot to keep out debris and prevent it from penetrating inside and damaging your feet.
- The entire body of the boot is covered by a breathable mesh lining that performs well to keep out water when you are walking on small puddles or crossing trails subjected to light rain showers.
- The traditional lace-up fashion may seem a little cumbersome to handle, especially if you tend to hike for multiple hours non-stop.
- Also, the tongue has a big seam that constantly presses on top of the foot and creates a slight discomfort. However, that shouldn’t be a major problem.
All in all, these Merrell’s boots don’t disappoint! They offer an impeccable mix of style, comfort, support and shock absorption, in order to minimize the stress of tackling the elements of Mother Nature miles way from home.
7. Danner Men’s Mountain 600 4.5″ Hiking Boot
With a sleek suede upper that promises utmost durability and a 100% waterproof barrier to ensure maximum comfort, these Danner Boots are designed to impress. Their major USP is the comfort they offer. In fact, they are so versatile that you can even lace them on for everyday wear. They are as light as your regular sneakers and yet have the functionality of a heavy duty hiking boot. They are reasonably flexible around the midsole to help you adjust your stride as per the demands of the terrain and prevent yourself from tripping.
- The boots feature a durable suede upper that provides protection to the feet from rocks and dust.
- The boot is 100% waterproof and allows the sweat vapor to escape without letting water in, thereby keeping your feet dry and odor-free all day.
- There is a rubberized EVA midsole that has the same cushioning features as traditional EVA but offers greater support and doesn’t fall apart as easily. Also, it allows you to bounce back quickly from a sudden abrasion.
- The Vibram outsole comes with self-adapting lugs that lend remarkable grip for stepping on dry and wet surfaces with confidence.
- In addition to being hardy and waterproof, the suede leather upper is porous with a moisture-wicking collar that ensures an easy break-in period.
- One small downside of this boot is that it’s available in a size larger than usual. This simply means that you need to order half-a-size smaller than what you normally do.
- Some users feel that the boots are a bit too warm on the interior. While the jury is still out on the breathable quotient of Danner’s lining, it sure doesn’t disappoint in cool, temperate climates.
You will love to explore offbeat paths or rediscover your favorite trails with these boots. They are so light and stylish that you would even love to walk on your city streets in them! But don’t be fooled by their pretty face. They come replete with an impressive set of features that live up to their hype and give you a great value for your money!
8. Men’s Hoka One One Tor Tech Mid WP Hiking Boot
Flexible midsoles and durable uppers give these hiking boots the sturdy and responsive performance you require to go as far and as fast you want, without tripping or grazing your feet. HOKA ONE ONE boots are designed for running mainly and come with super thick soles for premium stability and traction. Slipping into these boots feels as though as you are stepping on a pillow top and the best part is that your feet stay dry, airy and safe all day long.
- Ample ankle support is one of the major highlights of this boot. Plus, the dynamic construction of the midsole ensures sufficient freedom of movement akin to that offered by trail-running shoes.
- The breathable waterproof lining of these boots makes them apt for dry and wet conditions both.
- The upper features gusseted tongues that flick out the debris and prevent it from settling in your feet, thereby keeping you safe and comfortable even during the toughest of hikes.
- The rubber outsoles are solid, sticky and equipped with trail-specific lugs to help you gain confident footing on unpredictable and shaky terrain.
- The boots offer poor traction in mud. They do not provide sufficient stability for continuously walking on slick surfaces.
If comfort and weight are your main criteria in a hiking boot, then these Men’s HOKA ONE ONE boots are your answer. They are easy on your feet and keep them blister-free and clean even after long periods of outdoor tours. Plus, they are durable enough to last well beyond their warranty time and incorporate dynamic soles to ensure a smooth and supportive ride on the bumpiest of roads.
9. Scarpa Men’s Kailash GTX Hiking Boot
It’s not surprising that this boot continues to make its mark despite cut-throat competition in the global footwear market. The breathable, ultra-waterproof exterior keeps your feet nice and dry while you are out making your way through snow, rain, sleet and hail. The Scarpa Men’s Kailash GTX is essentially a slightly tweaked edition of its predecessor, with a suede upper for improved flexibility and freedom of movement. The unparalleled combination of Vibram technology and Gore-Tex ensures that this boot only fails when you do.
- There is additional cushioning found in the all-new polyurethane insert to relax your tired feet and that too without compromising on even a fraction of support.
- There is sufficient protection around the toe area, as well as bi-directional ankle support that specifically come handy when you are frantically scrambling to attain balance on a shaky trail.
- The boot features a Vibram Hi-Trail II outsole that is specifically engineered for mountaineering and comes armed with robust lugs to ensure unrivaled traction and steady braking for those times when the ground gets bumpy and unfavorable.
- The fit and sizing is spot on! It is designed for people for narrow feet and average width heel.
- There is a concern surrounding the durability of the boots as their stitching seems to tear apart within a year or two of usage.
- Some users have complained that the boots tend to shrink upon coming in contact with excess water.
- These Scarpa boots are not suitable for people with narrow feet, as they feature a stiff construction to provide maximum support.
Overall, this is a burly type of boot that deserves your attention and money. At such a low price point, it will manage to get you through several years of use and countless day hikes, backpacking trips and peak scrambles.
10. Propet Men’s Ridge Walker Hiking Boot
The product name is pretty self-explanatory! Propet Men’s Ridge Walker is a rugged, stiff, hardy hiking boot, with a polished oily look that appeals to adventurers who like keeping it stylish. It features a waterproof premium leather upper and a mesh lining that is breathable and porous. The insides are thick and padded to ease the rigors of outdoor stress. It’s essentially hard to get a callus or blister with these boots on!
- The boot’s outsole has a self-leaning design and is made up of flexible rubber that allows you to get a steady grip over any terrain.
- Most hikers with petite form and small, wide feet will find the perfect fit with these boots. They are built to negate the chance of crushing in the midsection or the toes.
- The heel is sturdy and hard, offering adequate support and traction to cover unfavorable terrains with confidence and ease. The chance of slipping in these boots is negligible.
- This is a sturdy, solid boot designed for rough use and abuse. It is extremely durable and offers a good value for your money.
- Many users have complained the boots to be narrow and stiff as compared to other models of the same price band. Basically, these boots are not meant for people with large and wide feet.
Long story short, if you are looking for a mid-range hiking boot at an affordable price point and robust enough to withstand abrasion and weather, then the Propet Men’s Ridge Walker is for you!