Work boots traditionally have been divided into two classes: light industrial and heavy industrial. The difference between work boots designed for each industrial level has diminished with advances in footwear technology.
When working on uneven or slippery surfaces, a slip resistant work boot is essential for safety purposes. Slippery floors and surfaces at work can be a cause of worry. This hazard can be countered by choosing slip resistant work boots. The slip resistance of a work boot depends primarily on the sole of the work boot. Other factors to consider for your ideal pair of work boots are comfort, durability, color, legal standards.
You will need to ensure that your feet are out of harm’s way and comfortable because there is no time for injuries and you have to get the job done, right?
WHAT TO CONSIDER
- Ensure you buy a pair of work boots which will get the job done and provide the comfort you desire. This might not be cheap, but it counts.
- If you are a worker in a fast moving environment, you may be exposed to many hazards at work. Make sure you know the risks that you are exposed to.
- If the floor at your workplace is slippery, make sure that your work boots can prevent slips and falls. You will not be of any help if you can barely keep your feet firmly planted to the ground.
- You might also need a pair of electric resistant work boots if your job involves telephone poles and electrical appliances. For outdoors, your work boots should be waterproof.
- Durability –How do you determine the kind of work boot that you have chosen? Is it befitting and durable. And most importantly, will it be able to give both your feet the support and protection they need? All these are questions you should be able to answer.
- When you are working in concrete surfaces ensure that your work boots are as comfortable as possible. It’s crucial for natural leg movements, and this will reduce the risk of tripping.
- You can also use slip testing methods on surfaces to determine the kind of work boot you desire for a specific work environment.
KEY POINTS ON SOLES AND WALKING SURFACES
- Lugged rubber outsole in a work boot is resistant to slippery, oily and abrasion floors.The product used in the work boot’s sole known as Ethylene-vinyl acetate(EVA) is best for construction work boots.
- Oil and chemical resistant proprietary wedge outsole is great for working on hazardous floors.
- Traction sole in a work boot that is heavy and reinforced will provide you with stability in uneasy terrains.
- The pattern on a work boot’s sole makes the work boot favorable for the concrete slabs by providing rock like grip.
- High traction footwear cuts down trips and falls by a staggering 40% – 50%. Sandpaper ,like a rough coating on your sole, helps increase traction and make your work boot safe to wear both on the indoors and outdoors.
- In surfaces with puncturing objects,a molded natural latex rubber is the ideal sole of a work boot.This is one of the strongest natural materials making it really hard to puncture.
- A reinforced heel provides support and traction for every kind of surface.
TESTING FOR SLIP RESISTANCE
Safety features of work boots are tested according to a certain set of standards written into EN.
Floor slip resistant testing; this is a scientific method of measuring the co-efficient of friction of flooring surfaces. It is usually pretty undesirable to the building’s owner when there is some reports of an accident.
Variable angle ramp; this is a German developed technique for achieving slip resistant values. Flooring samples may be mounted in a horizontal plane on the ramp for testing. An operator whose clad in safety work boots performs standardized walks on the sample without taking a slip.
Slip alert – Slip tester; this is a match box car like meter designed to accurately mimic the pendulum. Test can be done in dry and wet surfaces by walking through the surface with dry and wet work boots.
These floor slip resistance tests on surfaces do not represent all under foot surfaces. If you can get any additional information on the best slip resistant work boots then you can use these factors to determine the best work boot.
As there are many brands that you will come across when you shop for a work boot, it’s good to read the reviews of best work boots from each brand then make your purchase decisions.