Whether you are a man or a woman, the one thing that unarguably impacts the quality of your hike is your footwear. Hiking boots are not your average running shoes. They are designed to stand up to abuse, and offer greater support at the base of your feet. Plus, they are more flexible and allow your feet to bend and grip as per the demands of the terrain. They also lend sufficient ankle support and greater freedom of movement, in order to help you conquer your day hikes with ease.
Tough and Durable Hiking Boots
Do you often dream of disconnecting from work and submerging yourself in a verdant expanse of towering trees, undulating blankets of wildflowers and never-ending blue skies? Do you love to hike tirelessly without caring about the hurdles of engaging in a rigorous outdoor venture? Then what you need is a reliable pair of boots that keep your feet protected on a lengthy day on the trail. Believe it or not, there are specific types of hiking boots designed for men. They are significantly heavier than the ones designed for women. Plus they are low-cut and wider around the midsole area, in order to provide a concise fit. However, just like their female counterparts, they lend an equal amount of ankle support and toe protection. In short, they are hardened to combat jagged slopes, slippery rocks and loose gravel. Here, we have rounded up the top hiking boots for men, so you don’t get riddled with aching foot and get your day hike ruined in the process.
1. Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot
A high-quality, mid-height hiking boot for all types of environment, the Merrell Moab Mid Ventilator is designed for anyone who is looking for a lightweight and supportive option. It is equipped with a sturdy leather and mesh upper, in order to ensure optimal comfort on long day hikes. And it’s versatile styling makes it a nice choice for outdoor adventures. Plus there is additional support around the ankle to lodge your feet in place and help you step out in confidence. And for those who are prone to accidental falls and injuries, there is also a stable Vibram sole that provides sufficient grip for traversing jagged slopes and bumpy trails.
- These boots have a wide forefoot that serves as a sturdy and stable platform for walking on smooth terrain where you won’t encounter too much of rocks and pebbles.
- Hikers with trail hardened feet are sure to love this boot, as it’s extremely lightweight and offers a cozy fit.
- The upper is covered with a waterproof membrane on the inside, so you can walk on ice on trek in the rain and still not get your feet wet and soggy.
- The Vibram sole helps you gain a steady grip of the trail. You can jump across obstacles and step on pebbles without twisting your ankle or developing sore feet at the end of the day.
- There are rubber caps to protect your toes and heel from getting stubbed or bruised every time you accidentally hit a rock.
- The arch support of the stock insoles might come across as insufficient for flat-footed individuals. As such, they will have to replace these to get the comfort and fit they desire.
- Mud tends to accumulate in the mesh easily, and it can be removed only by soaking the boots in warm water.
- These boots are not very suitable for freezing cold weather.
If you’re planning on using your hiking shoes in dry weather and mostly on the trails, you are sure to be satisfied with these Merell boots. They are lightweight, well-ventilated and give you maximum ankle support provided you aren’t packing a very heavy weight. They do have a few letdowns, and are not as waterproof as their counterparts, but otherwise, they are flawless and reward you with years of dependable use before you even begin to think of buying new ones.
2. KEEN Men’s Targhee II Mid WP Hiking Boot
This modish-styled boot from the house of KEEN has all the virtues to become your lone friend when covering hundreds of miles over a span of few days. It comes replete with an exemplary set of features, including a leather framework, durable construction, right arch support, and water-repellent properties, to name a few. A closer look at this boot will tell you that it has all the features to help minimize the rigors of your outdoor adventures.
- The midsole of the boot is made of high-quality EVA foam that is contoured and detachable. It provides the right torsional stability to cover long hikes in areas where conditions are hostile.
- The waterproof leather upper is constructed in a way to prevent permeation of rainwater into the boot’s surfaces. This makes them very useful for long treks.
- The boot is engineered with the advanced S3 support system. This distributes pressure evenly on your feet and does a good job of absorbing shocks. Consequently, the chances of having a twisted ankle reduces significantly.
- It weighs less than 3 pounds and provides the same level of functioning as other mid-range boots with a higher weight.
- The heels are extremely comfortable and feel snug and secure while trekking across steep planes and mountaintops. The fact that they are easy to lace up makes them convenient for hectic hikes.
- Some users complain that the boot’s threading is a bit loose as it starts coming out within a year of usage.
Overall, this boot an impressive example of a mid-range hiking footwear. It strikes the right balance between comfort and fashion and keeps your feet feeling cozy, secure and safe even during multiple treks. Crisscrossing canyons and paths is a breeze with these on, as they make you feel light and free.
3. Salomon Men’s X Ultra Mid 2 GTX Multifunctional Hiking Boot
You don’t have to be an expert hiker to appreciate the premium comfort and support offered by Salomon X Ultra Mid2 FTX boots. Deemed as a nice choice for backpackers who prefer lightweight gear, this versatile boot is equipped with a breathable and waterproof rubber with rubber enhancements for increased flexibility during bumpy hikes. There is a gusseted tongue that minimizes the excess pressured caused by laces, as well as a unique, anatomically shaped footbed to help your feet bend naturally to accommodate the twists and turns of hiking trails.
- These hiking boots come with thermoplastic urethane inserts, which offer optimal support and stability for walking over rocks and slick surfaces.
- They have padded EVA midsoles that literally massage your feet and give you the comfort you need to cover multiple miles at a stretch.
- Thanks to the sturdy rubber outsoles, nothing can change the comfort offered by the boots. They are suitable for extreme hiking too, and prevent your feet from blisters and sprains.
- These Salomon’s boots have waterpoof lining that allows your feet to breathe and protect them from the elements. You can easily go hiking in the forests after a rain without slipping or getting your feet all soggy and muddy.
- Another desirable aspect of this boot is that it features a gusseted tongue that flicks out the debris continuously and keeps your feet safe.
- The boots are rather stiff initially and require you to spend sufficient time breaking-in them for future comfort.
- The laces tend to get undone easily and need to be fixed up every now and then, especially during wild adventures.
All in all, this boot is recommended for lightweight hiking to backpacking and practically any outdoor adventure you have in mind. It ticks all the boxes of a durable and contoured footwear that minimizes the chance of leg injuries and enhances your postural stability for traversing trails that are strewn with obstacles. To top it all, it has been constructed cleverly to stay durable in the face of abrasion, as well as provide a precise fit that keeps your feet safe and steady.
4. Columbia Men’s Newton Ridge Plus II Waterproof Hiking Shoe
Columbia Men’s Newton Ridge hiking boots are built to deliver the best in terms of style, performance, versatility and price value. They feature the Omni-tech waterproof technology that allows them to stave off the effects of unfavorable weather and prevent it from affecting your feet. They also have a stain-resistant cover that enables them to last a year or two without showing wear and tear. The prominent design is alluring too, as it gives the boot a distinguished look.
- The rubber outsole is designed with the Omnishield technology that is meant to provide protection from harsh conditions. This makes your walk comfortable and gives you the stability to step on rocky ground.
- The shaft size and arch support both make these boots ultra cozy to walk in. They gives you the confidence to tackle uneven trails without facing any untoward events.
- The last thing you want while hiking is to get weighed down by your footwear. Well, the Columbia Men’s Newton Ridge weighs a little less than 3 pounds, so they’re just like wearing ordinary sneakers.
- Columbia’s waterproof technology ensures the boots retain their brand new appeal for over a year even with rough use.
- The boot is slightly narrow than conventional boots, so you may consider selecting a size larger than you usually wear.
- The boot has a minimalistic design. This might not be a downside if you appreciate simplicity and detest flashy boots.
Overall, this is a boot that delivers what it claims. Its pros outweigh its flaws by a long shot and it’s suitable for any outdoor enthusiast. Also, the price is reasonable and just what you would like to spend for footwear of this quality. Even if you tend to hike heavily round the year, you can still expect them to last over year or so. They are lightweight, repel mud and water, and allow you to walk long distances without feeling any discomfort.
5. Adidas Outdoor Men’s AX2 Mid Gore-Tex Hiking Boot
There is a reason why Adidas is the favorite brand of fitness buffs and outdoor enthusiasts. The AX2 MID GTX hiking boot justifies their judgement. For starters, it is made from proprietary material that is super light, comfortable and strong enough to withstand unfavorable weather elements. Secondly, the boot is engineered with modern technology to stay waterproof and dry out quick, which makes them a good choice for trekking in humid weather. And the fact that they are designed to look stylish and chic is a big plus, because let’s face it: appearance does matter.
- The boots incorporate soft and firm soles that are capable of handling rough terrains with remarkable ease.
- The boot is lightweight, so it doesn’t feel as if you carrying extra luggage. Despite its weight, the boot is resilient to abrasion, so it doesn’t fall apart in response to sharp objects encountered on hiking trails.
- On the interior, the boots come with supreme cushioning and ADIPRENE stability. Plus, they include a collar molded foam insole that makes you feel like you are wearing a sponge!
- The boots reach all the way to the ankle. This provides wearers with ample ankle protection and enhances their performance on a hike.
- It is essential that you lace up the boots properly because if you don’t the water from the outside might permeate and wet your feet.
- Another minor flaw is that the material of this boot tends to shrink or expand depending on the temperature. So it’s probably more sensible to wear it in neutral weather.
It’s evident that these hiking boots are built for people who love hiking for hours in unfavorable terrain. Adidas has invested enough time and care to ensure that you not only get to walk in style, but also in comfort and safety. And despite some minor downsides, the Adidas AX2 MID GTX is one of the best hiking footwear for varying conditions.
6. Merrell Men’s Moab Ventilator Mid Hiking Boot
With a potent combination of nylon ventilator upper and a mid-height dura leather, these Merrell Men’s boots personify their name to the max! They combine breathability, support and flexibility in equal parts to deliver long-lasting performance on track and keep your feet comfy and protected in the process. Powerful, trail-specific lugs and air-cushioned heel pockets are two of its strengths that set it apart from thousands of run-of-the-mill hiking boots abuzz in the market.
- The boot features nylon mesh linings that disperse excess moisture and keep your feet dry in hot conditions
- There is extra cushioning in the form of full-length EVA midsoles that absorb the shock and fatigue of hiking for long hours.
- There are air cushion heel pockets that make the boots as flexible as running shoes and help to stabilize footstrike, thereby lowering the chances of unforeseen slips and falls.
- The outsoles are particularly impressive, with unique indentations to avoid the chances of slippage. They are resilient enough to lend dependable traction on dry and wet terrains.
- The round rubber toe on the upper guarantees protection to the toes from abrasion.
- The heel has a loop aid that simplifies the process of pulling the boots on and off as per your convenience.
- One major factor that could probably keep you from buying these boots is that they are not waterproof. As a result, you might get your feet wet while crossing any streams or walking on rain puddles. Nevertheless, these boots tend to dry out faster than what you’ll expect.
- Another downside is that the EVA midsoles of the boots have a short life. They tend to flatten over time, but the good news is that they are removable and you can always replace them if needed.
Replete with killer outsoles, EVA midsoles, cutting-edge padded tongues and perforated uppers, these Merrell boots are designed to perform exceptionally well in varied terrain. . If you are looking for a nice lightweight boot to wear for your summer hikes and don’t really care about getting your feet wet, then you should certainly opt for the Merrell Moab Ventilator boots.
7. Timberland White Ledge Men’s Waterproof Boot
It’s easy to see why this boot is the best-selling hiking footwear on Amazon. For starters, it is multi-purpose, meaning it’s use can be extended to all sorts of environments and activities, from leisure walking to traversing along rugged trails. In fact, they are so comfortable that you can take a power nap without even taking them off! Moreover, they are covered with a waterproof leather lining that makes them resilient to the effects of weather. All the seams are sealed tightly to prevent any untoward tears from abrasion.
- Despite being made of full grain premium leather, these boots are surprisingly lightweight and easy to break in.
- The padding around the upper tongue and ankle is nice and thick, so you will hardly feel any discomfort while walking over rocks and roots. To top it all, there is sufficient protection around the toe area, so that you don’t end up stubbing your foot upon encountering an obstacle.
- On the inside, the boot features a detachable dual-density EVA insole that provides adequate cushioning during long periods of hiking. It’s perforated as well, in order to allow air circulation and keep your feet dry and odorless.
- The outsole too is designed to withstand the rigors of rough terrain. It is made of solid rubber and comes equipped with multi-directional lugs to give you full support and flexibility while covering difficult hiking trails.
- One of the few letdowns of the boot is that it’s sole is a bit too flexible. This can be a problem when you are hiking for long hours on rough terrain.
- The boot is not the best choice of footwear for climbing mountains. For such situations, you are better off with boots that have a stiffer construction and a harder sole.
Overall, it would be fair to say that these White Ledge boots do deliver what they promise. They are best suited for outdoor activities like hiking, walking, jogging, working in the garden and working out in the gym. And while they are not good enough for hard-core mountaineering, they do have the potential to offer years of satisfactory usage before needing a replacement.
8. Ariat Men’s Terrain H2O Hiking Boot
Whether you want to climb the rocky mountains or make your way through the woods, this boot has got you covered. Made of full grain, oiled leather on top, it is designed to provide ample toe space and plenty of room for your feet to breathe. Additionally, it features synthetic soles that are so light that they won’t drag you down and instead feel like you are getting a massage as you walk.
- The boots feature the cutting-edge waterproof Pro technology that keeps the water out and enhances the comfort quotient during long hikes in unfavorable environments.
- The sole embodies the ATS technology and provides support and stability to the foot, thereby reducing fatigue and negating the chance of developing blisters.The boots reach all the way to the ankles, and the shaft is located roughly fives inches from the arch. That is why they are capable of providing proper protection to the foot and ankle.
- The upper body is well-oiled and made of waterproof leather. As a result, they are durable and apt for rough use.
- The general consensus is that the boot is somewhat stiff and doesn’t give the desired flexibility to climb mountain slopes or walk along steep terrain.
- These boots are not suitable for treading on snow.
Ariat Terrain H2O Hiking boots may not be the ultimate answer for hiking in all sorts of terrains, but they are certainly a good choice for people who want to add stylish, lightweight and supportive hiking footwear to their collection.
9. Dunham Men’s Cloud Mid-Cut
Dunham Men’s Cloud Mid-Cut is a high-quality hiking boot that is sure to make your tryts with nature comfortable and memorable, all for the right reasons! They offer great traction and support to tired feet and are essentially waterproof. Plus they are slip-resistant and enhance the confidence of traversing along tricky hiking trails. In fact, these Dunhams are among the most comfortable and budget-friendly boots currently available in the market.
- Dunham boots have a cutting-edge EVA midsole that provides support and absorbs shock as you walk over diverse hiking trails.
- The midsole has a novel fiberglass stability shank that supports your foot arch and helps you adopt a smoother gait, thereby reducing the stress of trudging during long hikes.
- There is a memory foam footbed too, for improving the level of comfort experienced when traveling for long hours. These Dunham boots also have supreme rear foot stability, in order to offset the excess pressure you place on your heel while walking.
- The mid-cut collar design of the boot translates into sufficient anke support, thereby increasing your faith in your ability to overcome difficult hikes.
- Some users have reported that the stitching of the boot’s is a little fragile and tends to come apart with time. However, a quick run to the cobbler and that should be fine.
All in all, these new Dunham boots are robust, durable and suitable for your outdoor ventures. They are definitely one of the best you will ever own and are sure to win you over with their comfortable grip and steady make.
10. Vasque Men’s Talus Trek Ultradry Hiking Boot
The rigors of hiking are different for different seasons, but the requirement for managing them remain the same — high-quality hiking boots that offer a combination of support, comfort and traction in equal measures. The Vasque Talus Trek UltraDry does just that. It meets all your expectations with aplomb and quits on trail only when you decide to.
- Unlike many rigid hiking boots, the Vasque Talus Trek UltraDry feels pliable enough to wrap naturally around your feet and bend as and when needed without feeling flimsy or loose. In other words, this means you don’t have to spend extra time breaking in a pair of these boots.
- The boots are durable and offer adequate support, so you won’t skid or slip every time when hiking on bare rock, gravel or dirt. You can also trudge on wet rocks without any difficulty.
- Another desirable aspect about the Vasque Talus Trek UltraDry is that it consistently keeps the water out while staying breathable in the process. This means your feet can release moisture and remain dry.
- These boots are fashioned to accommodate wide feet easily.
- They are pretty lightweight and a good choice if you are planning on lugging a big backpack for your day hike.
- Tying up the boots can be a bit of a problem as the tongues can’t seem to stay in place.
- Secondly, the fabric groove that traps water by the tongue is way too short. This increases the risk of letting water in during a heavy downpour.
Vasque Men’s Talus Trek Ultradry offers the same features as your ordinary hiking boot, albeit in revamped versions. They are designed for hard-core hiking, running and mountaineering and manage to strike a nice balance between support and flexibility without compromising on the comfort quotient. Whether you are beginner-level hiker or a adventure buff, these boots won’t disappoint!
11. Merrell Men’s Phoenix Bluff Mid Waterproof Hiking Shoe
A high-quality mid-high boot designed for general outdoor activities, the Merrell Phoenix Bluff is built to conquer rocky terrain, gravel and tricky roots without fail. They are made of waterproof leather and integrate air cushioning that allow you to walk and stand all day without feeling even the slightest degree of discomfort. The Vibram soles are aimed at absorbing shock from treading on uneven surfaces, and bend naturally with the curvature of your feet as you hike.
- The rubber sole is sturdy yet flexible, so much so that climbing steep angles such as mountain slopes seems as easy as climbing a small flight of stairs!
- The strategic position of the shaft from the arch ensures adequate support to the ankle area, as well as maximum support to get grip over shaky surfaces.
- There is a bellow tongue on the upper of the boot to keep out debris and prevent it from penetrating inside and damaging your feet.
- The entire body of the boot is covered by a breathable mesh lining that performs well to keep out water when you are walking on small puddles or crossing trails subjected to light rain showers.
- The traditional lace-up fashion may seem a little cumbersome to handle, especially if you tend to hike for multiple hours non-stop.
- Also, the tongue has a big seam that constantly presses on top of the foot and creates a slight discomfort. However, that shouldn’t be a major problem.
All in all, these Merrell’s boots don’t disappoint! They offer an impeccable mix of style, comfort, support and shock absorption, in order to minimize the stress of tackling the elements of Mother Nature miles way from home.
12. Danner Men’s Mountain 600 4.5″ Hiking Boot
With a sleek suede upper that promises utmost durability and a 100% waterproof barrier to ensure maximum comfort, these Danner Boots are designed to impress. Their major USP is the comfort they offer. In fact, they are so versatile that you can even lace them on for everyday wear. They are as light as your regular sneakers and yet have the functionality of a heavy duty hiking boot. They are reasonably flexible around the midsole to help you adjust your stride as per the demands of the terrain and prevent yourself from tripping.
- The boots feature a durable suede upper that provides protection to the feet from rocks and dust.
- The boot is 100% waterproof and allows the sweat vapor to escape without letting water in, thereby keeping your feet dry and odor-free all day.
- There is a rubberized EVA midsole that has the same cushioning features as traditional EVA but offers greater support and doesn’t fall apart as easily. Also, it allows you to bounce back quickly from a sudden abrasion.
- The Vibram outsole comes with self-adapting lugs that lend remarkable grip for stepping on dry and wet surfaces with confidence.
- In addition to being hardy and waterproof, the suede leather upper is porous with a moisture-wicking collar that ensures an easy break-in period.
- One small downside of this boot is that it’s available in a size larger than usual. This simply means that you need to order half-a-size smaller than what you normally do.
- Some users feel that the boots are a bit too warm on the interior. While the jury is still out on the breathable quotient of Danner’s lining, it sure doesn’t disappoint in cool, temperate climates.
You will love to explore offbeat paths or rediscover your favorite trails with these boots. They are so light and stylish that you would even love to walk on your city streets in them! But don’t be fooled by their pretty face. They come replete with an impressive set of features that live up to their hype and give you a great value for your money!
13. Men’s Hoka One One Tor Tech Mid WP Hiking Boot
Flexible midsoles and durable uppers give these hiking boots the sturdy and responsive performance you require to go as far and as fast you want, without tripping or grazing your feet. HOKA ONE ONE boots are designed for running mainly and come with super thick soles for premium stability and traction. Slipping into these boots feels as though as you are stepping on a pillow top and the best part is that your feet stay dry, airy and safe all day long.
- Ample ankle support is one of the major highlights of this boot. Plus, the dynamic construction of the midsole ensures sufficient freedom of movement akin to that offered by trail-running shoes.
- The breathable waterproof lining of these boots makes them apt for dry and wet conditions both.
- The upper features gusseted tongues that flick out the debris and prevent it from settling in your feet, thereby keeping you safe and comfortable even during the toughest of hikes.
- The rubber outsoles are solid, sticky and equipped with trail-specific lugs to help you gain confident footing on unpredictable and shaky terrain.
- The boots offer poor traction in mud. They do not provide sufficient stability for continuously walking on slick surfaces.
If comfort and weight are your main criteria in a hiking boot, then these Men’s HOKA ONE ONE boots are your answer. They are easy on your feet and keep them blister-free and clean even after long periods of outdoor tours. Plus, they are durable enough to last well beyond their warranty time and incorporate dynamic soles to ensure a smooth and supportive ride on the bumpiest of roads.
14. Scarpa Men’s Kailash GTX Hiking Boot
It’s not surprising that this boot continues to make its mark despite cut-throat competition in the global footwear market. The breathable, ultra-waterproof exterior keeps your feet nice and dry while you are out making your way through snow, rain, sleet and hail. The Scarpa Men’s Kailash GTX is essentially a slightly tweaked edition of its predecessor, with a suede upper for improved flexibility and freedom of movement. The unparalleled combination of Vibram technology and Gore-Tex ensures that this boot only fails when you do.
- There is additional cushioning found in the all-new polyurethane insert to relax your tired feet and that too without compromising on even a fraction of support.
- There is sufficient protection around the toe area, as well as bi-directional ankle support that specifically come handy when you are frantically scrambling to attain balance on a shaky trail.
- The boot features a Vibram Hi-Trail II outsole that is specifically engineered for mountaineering and comes armed with robust lugs to ensure unrivaled traction and steady braking for those times when the ground gets bumpy and unfavorable.
- The fit and sizing is spot on! It is designed for people for narrow feet and average width heel.
- There is a concern surrounding the durability of the boots as their stitching seems to tear apart within a year or two of usage.
- Some users have complained that the boots tend to shrink upon coming in contact with excess water.
- These Scarpa boots are not suitable for people with narrow feet, as they feature a stiff construction to provide maximum support.
Overall, this is a burly type of boot that deserves your attention and money. At such a low price point, it will manage to get you through several years of use and countless day hikes, backpacking trips and peak scrambles.
15. Propet Men’s Ridge Walker Hiking Boot
The product name is pretty self-explanatory! Propet Men’s Ridge Walker is a rugged, stiff, hardy hiking boot, with a polished oily look that appeals to adventurers who like keeping it stylish. It features a waterproof premium leather upper and a mesh lining that is breathable and porous. The insides are thick and padded to ease the rigors of outdoor stress. It’s essentially hard to get a callus or blister with these boots on!
- The boot’s outsole has a self-leaning design and is made up of flexible rubber that allows you to get a steady grip over any terrain.
- Most hikers with petite form and small, wide feet will find the perfect fit with these boots. They are built to negate the chance of crushing in the midsection or the toes.
- The heel is sturdy and hard, offering adequate support and traction to cover unfavorable terrains with confidence and ease. The chance of slipping in these boots is negligible.
- This is a sturdy, solid boot designed for rough use and abuse. It is extremely durable and offers a good value for your money.
- Many users have complained the boots to be narrow and stiff as compared to other models of the same price band. Basically, these boots are not meant for people with large and wide feet.
Long story short, if you are looking for a mid-range hiking boot at an affordable price point and robust enough to withstand abrasion and weather, then the Propet Men’s Ridge Walker is for you!
Every woman desires to set herself free from the bounds of city life and hike through the haunts of Mother Nature in peace. And the only thing that can ever stop her from fulfilling her desire is the question of comfort, and whether her physique is conditioned enough to tackle the rigors of a hectic outdoor venture. Well, that is where hiking boots come to the picture. Designed specifically to fit the natural form of a woman’s feet, these boots combine comfort with style, without compromising on either. They are as light as your ordinary sneakers and dissipate the shocks resulting from stomping on roads dotted with sharp objects. Whether you wish to trek through the mountaintops, or make your way through the muddy paths leading into the woods, modern hiking boots have got you covered!
Here we have compiled a list of some comfortable hiking boots for females so that no footwear can ever come between you and your adventure:
1. Merrell Women’s Moab Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot
Merell Women’s Moab Hiking boot has all the virtues of a great backpacking boot. It’s made of superior leather fabric, so that you can cope up with the varying weather conditions, and comes fitted with Vibram lugs to ensure your feet flexes easily on rugged terrains for top-notch comfort. Additionally, the boot features a waterproof-breathable membrane that lets moisture escape and keeps the weather out. This prevents water from entering your feet and moisture from accumulating within, thereby keeping your feet dry and free of odor. To top it all, this boot has been designed specifically to cater to the form and needs of women hikers.
- This boot features a leather upper and an exterior coating of waterproof polyurethane membrane that protects your feet irrespective of the weather.
- It is fitted with padded tongues that make it easier for you to fasten your laces when going on long distance hikes. Plus, there are bellows on the tongue to keep out the debris from entering the shoe.
- The midsoles are designed to help you get maximum freedom of movement without getting riddled with blisters or aching feet. Also, they come with air cushion heels that provide additional support and shock absorption while walking on bumpy trails strewn with obstacles.
- The shaft and the outsole are placed at a decent distance from the arch. Hence, it wraps around the entire foot comfortably.
- The shoes are neither too heavy and nor too light. As such, walking in them gives you balance and a good posture, while feeling comfortable in the process.
- These boots are not as physically attractive as other models of the same price range. However, the longevity and support offered by them are worth the investment.
- You need to spend some time breaking in the boots before you wear them on your hike.
When it comes to stable footwear for rough outdoor usage, you should always opt for quality over appearance. These trail boots are designed to get you through unpredictable weather and keep your feet feeling secure, comfort and strong.
2. KEEN Women’s Targhee II Mid WP Hiking Boot
If you thought lightweight, stylish boots came at the cost of functionality, you might be wrong because the Targhee II Mid WP Hiking Boot by KEEN is out to change that. Touted as one of most high-quality hiking boots for females, they provide suitable traction, comfort and support for extended backpacking. They are fitted with an aggressive sole, to help you maintain adequate posture and stay upright while hiking. And they are so comfortable that you can practically sleep on them at night!
- The boot has been designed with a rugged tread pattern to allow easy passage through steep slopes, granite and wet rock.
- The boot has stiff rubber soles that provide additional stability and support. It offers sufficient grip so you don’t have to experience any unforeseen accidents from slipping or sliding.
- The rubber soles include 4mm deep lugs for tackling tough and slippery terrain. They are water-repellent too, and dry out quickly, thereby preventing your feet from coming in contact with rainwater or creek water.
- The boot incorporates a novel dual density footbed that offers adequate cushioning and comfort while trudging with a heavy backpack on long hikes.
- Its dimensions and contours make it suitable for people with narrow feet only. This means that women who are better endowed should look for other options.
This boot from the house of KEEN is inexpensive yet superior in terms of performance and quality. It’s comfortable around the toes and it’s durability is practically unparalleled. If you are looking to buy a hiking boot that is designed to keep your feet secure and strong and get you through the toughest of terrains without any blisters or sprains, you should definitely consider this one!
3. Ariat Women’s Terrain H2O Hiking Boot
Designed with advanced footwear technology, Ariat Women’s Hiking boot features a cutting-edge construction designed to offer supreme feet protection and exceptional comfort in the face of abrasive conditions. Manufactured to incorporate a waterproof coating, as well as a full grain leather border, it helps make sure that your feet remains comfortable at all times. The uppers are made of Cordura material that is durable, lightweight and breathable. In other words, it helps to minimize the rigors of hiking. Plus the Duratread outsoles guarantee long-lasting traction, and make the boots suitable for all types of outdoor activities.
- The boots go the extra mile to give you adequate comfort. The rubber outsole, leather upper and the padded midsole are all designed to ensure a blister-free hike.
- The full grain leather exterior is designed to save your delicate feet from the ravages of rough terrain and unpredictable weather. These boots are breathable and dry out quickly, keeping your feet warm, dry and safe every time.
- The heel is built to be narrow enough, in order to ensure that the boots don’t feel loose and awkward when you are walking.
- The shaft is distanced around 4-inches from the arch, so basically, it feels like you’re getting a foot massage every time you strap on these boots.
- You can finally bid adieu to arch pain. These boots are raised properly from the ground. They are neither too high nor too low, so you won’t experience any winter cold or postural aches while wearing them.
- These boots are not suitable for women who are petite and have narrow feet.
- They are a bit on the costlier side, but that shouldn’t be a major deal-breaker as they come with pretty high-end features.
If you are looking for a suitable shoe to wear to any outdoor event, these boots by Ariat are for you. While designed to meet the rigorous demands of hiking, they are super stylish and comfortable, which makes them attractive for all sorts of endeavors.
4. Ahnu Women’s Sugarpine Hiking Boot
Ahnu Women’s boot embodies the true feminine style with a tough exterior. It’s available in an attractive spectrum of colors and entails a casual chic design. Designed to suit the female physique, it is relatively lighter than other hiking boots, and includes a padded collar, breathable mesh structure, as well as a firm vamp to ensure adequate comfort during multi-treks. They are waterproof as well, and offer considerable protection for trudging on slick rocks and wetlands. The boot is designed with the Numentum technology, and hence maintains a steady ride on bumpy roads.
- The boot features a breathable liner to ensure efficient evaporation of sweat in hot weather.
- It”s rubber sole makes it lightweight, flexible and non-slippery. You can hike through unfavorable grounds as long as you want; the sole offers a decent bit of traction and minimizes fatigue.
- It has a sturdy framework that is built to resist harsh terrain and rough weather. In other words, it doesn’t fall apart from the first few brushes with hooks or nails.
- It has a waterproof exterior and is designed to ensure premium grip over slippery surfaces.
- There is a limited range of sizes available with this boot.
Women who prefer a feminine look on a heavy-duty, versatile shoe should consider Ahnu Sugarpine hiking boot. It’s highly versatile, and you can use it for backpacking, thru-hiking, walking downtown, as well as sweating it out in the gym.
5. Timberland Women’s Chocorua Trail Boot
Timberland Trail Boots are the perfect answer for any women looking to lay her hands on hiking footwear that is fashionable, multi-purpose, as well as robust. They are lightweight and water repellent boots that are strong enough to withstand rough weather and abrasions. Plus, they have all the right contours to make sure the heel stays attached to the boot and doesn’t feel awkward.
- The boots incorporate a high arch support, which enhances their comfort quotient.
- They are lightweight, yet solidly built so that you don’t experience wear and tear easily.
- They are resilient to water, so you can wear them through snow, mud and rain and still not get your feet wet or sweaty.
- They are extremely durable and tough enough to withstand sharp jabs by knives, rocks, hail or thorns.
- The insole is sturdy and gives excellent shock absorption while maintaining a firm foundation to allow traction on rugged terrain.
- The area around the ankle is a bit stiff and it takes longer to break in this pair of Timberland boots.
- The laces are long and there is always a chance of tripping on them.
You will love these boots for the superb grip they offer, as well as their sturdiness and rugged design. They are resilient to smears and stains and last long, giving you a great value for your precious pennies. To top it all, they keep away the mud, water and debris from permeating and spoiling your delicate feet. And the best part is that they are designed for the feminine feet. As a woman hiker, what more can you ask for!
6. Merrell Women’s Moab 2 Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot
You know your hiking needs are properly met when you opt for Merrell’s Moab boots. Designed to offer a snug fit and a cozy feel, these are fuss-free, functional hiking boots that perform exceptionally well both on and off-trails. They feature a rugged, aesthetic design and include a tough, perforated covering that ensures an airy, dry feel irrespective of the weather outside.
- One of the most prominent advantages of these boots is that they sport an ergonomic structure that wraps around the contours of your feet naturally and firmly.
- The suede uppers make for a durable construction and the breathable mesh lining enables adequate airflow to keep your feet dry and comfortable during day hikes in the sun.
- The firm OrthoLite footbed provides excellent traction for walking along tricky terrains strewn with obstacles.
- These boots are lightweight and don’t drag you down.
- There is also a gusseted tongue that does a great job of flicking out dirt and debris and keeping your feet safe within.
- Some users believe that the lower cut of the boot leads to less support around the ankle and heels, but this problem can be solved by taking a break in between hiking sessions and allowing sufficient period of time to recover.
A combination of supportive components and aesthetic design makes these Merrells’ a worthy addition to your footwear collection. The suede and mesh upper gives you the maximum in terms of breathability, while the OrthoLite footbed secures your feet from feeling the impact of hard objects often encountered on trails.
7. Columbia Women’s Newton Ridge Plus Hiking Boot
Columbia Women’s Newton Ridge is the perfect example of a hardened hiking boot that offers the best of two worlds: quality and low cost. Despite being inexpensive, this leather-synthetic hybrid is well-built and features a waterproof construction that secures you from the ravages of unpredictable weather.
- The interior of the boot consists of a breathable mesh to allow sufficient airflow and escape of sweat vapor.
- The Omni-Grip tread enables you to handle rugged and tricky trails with confidence.
- In terms of standing comfort and prolonged hiking, the boot doesn’t disappoint. It’s light to walk in, and offers a snug fit, in order to keep hot spots, blisters and soreness at bay.
- The foot offers top-notch protection with a solid front, a sturdy toe bumper, as well as a midsole constructed from molded ethylene foam. This negates the possibility of arch pain when hiking for long hours in this boot.
- A combination of rubber and leather is a potent protection against water destruction. As a result, these hiking boots are totally weather-proof and perfect for walking on snow and rain.
- The laces are a bit too short, making the process of lacing up a little inconvenient.
Whether you are looking to go for a day hike in the sun or go for a weekend backpacking in the snow, the Columbia Women’s Newton Ridge won’t disappoint. It encompasses durable construction with practical features and high-quality components to give you the experience of a high-end, standard hiking boot.
8. KEEN Women’s Durand Mid WP Hiking Boot
With a compelling combo of durability, ankle support and flexible construction, the KEEN Women’s Durand boots occupy the top-slot of hiker’s boots. They are excellent for wet weather hiking and snowshoeing, as well as some low-key backpacking in areas that are subjected to a cool, temperate climate.
- The boot is well-made and durable enough to withstand the torments of Mother Nature. Apart from slight fraying, it maintains its true form and performs just as well even after a year of regular use.
- With a polyurethane midsole and a solid rubber toe cap, the boot is built to render dependable protection from stones, rocks and roots.
- There is a thick underfoot to secure your feet from coming in contact with stones and thorns on longer hikes. The airy cushioning around the ankle and heel is very comfortable as well.
- The waterproof covering is right in place with this boot. You can wear these boots in spring, fall and rain hikes and still not get your feet soggy and muddy.
- One of the few let downs of the boot is that it is a bit too wide around the heel, toes and foot. As such, hikers with narrow heels may experience a certain degree of heel slippage.
- While the boot does have a solid waterproof covering, it falls short in breathability. When temperatures soar, it can get pretty warm inside.
The KEEN Women’s Durand is an intriguing choice for the mild weekend backpacker/hiker that isn’t lugging heavy loads and doesn’t plan on covering too many off-trail peaks and scrambles. With a light, airy feel and a solid waterproof build, this is a robust boot that lasts long, and definitely comes across as an impressive upgrade in terms of ankle stability and underfoot support.
9. Salomon Women’s Quest 4D 2 GTX Hiking Boot
Stable enough to tackle harsh terrain and lithe enough for runners, the Salomon Women’s Quest 4D II GTX embodies the best characteristics of hiking boots of women. They are midweight boots that offer excellent traction, whether off trail or on. Besides providing top-notch comfort during long day hikes, they provide the level of ankle support and stability that hikers and backpackers expect from a boot of this quality. Fast packing is also one of their attributes. And since they are lightweight, you can easily cover long distances easily without feeling too much of fatigue.
- The boot features a Contagrip sole that offers adequate flexibility to support footstrike and stability for treading on bumpy terrains dotted with obstacles.
- It comes with an advanced 4D Chassis that enhances the torsional stability and food support, allowing you to maintain an upright posture and get a better grip over the trail.
- The uppers are designed with quality materials for improved support and comfort. The foam padded ankle collar gives you the peace of mind that your feet are safe even when you roll down those steep roads.
- As far as water resistance is concerned, the Quest 4D doesn’t disappoint. Thanks to its external leather construction, gusseted tongue and tough nylon lining, it performs exceptionally well in wet conditions.
- The lacing system is nothing short of impressive. Once you fasten it up in the morning, you won’t have to worry about it all day.
- While waterproof hiking boots generally seem to be warmer during hot days, this boot has been designed to ensure optimal breathability all kinds of weather. It features nylon mesh panels, which ensures your feet stays dry and odor-free irrespective of the conditions outside.
- This boot is too heavy-duty and burly for people who prefer hiking for short distances.
- The heel design is slightly raised. Some users may find it difficult to get accustomed to the slightly raised heel design but thanks to the nice and roomy forefoot area, it won’t be a big problem.
Overall, if you are a casual hiker looking for a rugged, lightweight option for backpacking and thru-hiking in sloppy terrain or difficult trails, then you should definitely go for its boot. It is built to offer all-round performance and retains its form and quality even when the weather goes awry.
10. Danner Women’s Mountain 600 4.5″ Hiking Boot
Danner Women’s Mountain 600 is a multi-purpose and robust hiking boot designed to help you conquer wet and bumpy terrain like a pro. Constructed with high-quality waterproof suede, the boot allows for a nice and airy feel within while maintaining a robust exterior that protects your feet from the effects of abrasion and weather. The snazzy, minimalistic design ensures you don’t hesitate before strapping them on for a trip to the local market or even the bar without drawing stares of disapproval from others.
- The clever midsole construction makes for an optimal combination of comfort, stability and dependable traction while you are out fighting with the elements.
- The unique Danner Dry liner staves off the entry of pesky dust partices and debris, while the waterproof suede upper with moisture-wicking qualites ensures a breezy feel.
- The boot also features a specialized Vibram SPE midsole that offers hikers remarkably support sans all the clunkiness prevalent in similar supportive boots.
- The boot is fitted with a detachable OrthoLite insole that provides ample to your underfoot, while the heel frame lends steady, lightweight support for acing hot, long treks.
- The tongue of the boots is not waterproof. So if you encounter erratic weather along your adventure, your feet may end up getting soaked. The good news is that these boots dry out fast.
It doesn’t matter what your choice of terrain is, because the Danny Women’s Mountain 600 is suitable for hiking even on the most trickiest of terrains in the most treacherous of weather conditions. And the fact that it incorporates a modish look makes it a nice boot for people who need some motivation to venture outdoors on a lazy Sunday.
11. Ahnu Women’s Montara WP Boot
Comfortable right out of the box, the Ahnu Women’s Montara boot is a stylish, lightweight footwear choice for casual hiking in favorable weather. It is designed to keep your feet airy and odor-free till the end of the day and are so cozy and snug that you can even sleep on them at night! It offers brilliant arch support and balances the pressure you impose on your heel when lugging around with a heavy backpack.
- This boot sports a stylish design and offers a concise, athletic foot that make it a good substitute for your daily sneakers. You can use it for casual day hikes, or even strap it on for strolling downtown.
- The thick Vibram soles offer reliable traction for walking on bumpy terrains and protect your feet from feeling the impact of stones underneath.
- This is a wider boot with a flexible midsole and a higher volume fit. As a result, it’s a good option for hikers with a heavier built and wider feet.
- The high and tight ankle lacing negates the flimsy, loose feeling of wider boots and gives you confidence to step in all kinds of terrain.
- Some users are dissatisfied with the durability of Ahnu Women’s Montara. Apparently, these boots begin to show signs of wear and tear after hiking for 50 miles at a stretch.
Despite having durability issues and questionable waterproofing, the Ahnu Montaras manage to strike an excellent balance between hard-core hiking boots and the more casual hiking shoes. They are suitable for people with narrow feet and have all the features to become your go- To-choice for short day hikes along dry trails.
12. Timberland Women’s White Ledge Hiking Boot
With a tough, seam-sealed leather construction and a 100% waterproof covering, the Timberland White Ledge boots are especially designed to allow the natural motions of your foot. They are flexible, durable and offer a snug fit. While walking in rain and snow is their USP, they are suitable for any terrain. Their solid outsoles offer excellent traction and tight grip. Plus, they integrate lugs at strategic positions to minimize the pressure of walking on bumpy roads.
- The boot upper, tongue and and the area around the ankles are all made of a leather and polyester mix. As a result, the entire covering is soft, breathable and perforated to allow sufficient airflow and keep your feet dry and comfy.
- These hiking boots offer the perfect fit for stepping confidently on tricky terrain. You can even wear them with thick socks. They are wide enough and come fitted with lace toppings, so you can fasten them as tight as you want.
- The moisture-flicking tongue is soft so you won’t feel any lace pressure on your foot. And the speed hook lacing is extremely durable and doesn’t loosen up or tear even with rough use.
- The mid-soles are removable and made of dual-density EVA that make for a bubbly comfort. The waterproof textile lining keeps the weather out and ensures a comfortable experience.
- These boots are not totally comfortable of the box and require some time to break in.
Timberland Women’s White Ledge boots are replete with a novel set of features that is sure to surpass your expectations and reward you with years of reliable use. They are designed to endure all types of weather and function well on those times when most of the entry-level hiking boots fail.
13. Vasque Women’s Breeze 2.0 Gore-Tex Hiking Boot
An incredibly agile mid-weight hiking boot, the Vasque Breeze is one of the most stable and weather-proof trekking boots in the market. Its features a high cuff for offering better foot control and stability for hiking on steep trails with loose rocks. It is fitted with thermoplastic urethane plate to give you the rigidity for conquering exhaustive, long day hikes. The narrow heel box gives security to your instep, making sure you don’t slip on sloppy surfaces. With a higher arch and narrower heel cup, these boots are specifically designed to cater to the typical form and needs of a woman’s feet.
- The Gore-Tex membrane holds up well against sloshed and muddy roads. The boots are quick to dry and prevent water from entering and wetting the feet.
- The burly leather upper and mesh panels make for a durable construction that provides extended usage. The substantial toe bumpers and rubber heel enhance protection and minimize the chances of tripping on obstacles.
- The supportive and nubby outsole helps you gain grip on slick and muddy areas, and the metal lacing hooks removes the hard-work of bending every now and then to fasten up the boots firmly.
- There is a gusseted tongue fitted on the boot upper to keep out rocks, sticks and debris from entering your feet and hurting them. The large eyelet hooks simplify the lacing process.
- The boots enclose plenty of room within, and come in both wide and narrow size options to help you choose a fit you’re most comfortable with.
- The cuff may feel too high initially, but with time you will get used to it.
The Vasque Women’s Breeze is definitely one of the most versatile and impressive hiking boots out there. While it does have the feel of a burly backpacking boot due to the supportive midsole, other features like the stability plate, the tall cuff, Gore-Tex liner, and the overall responsiveness make it feel like a light fitness shoes.
14. Adidas Outdoor Women’s Terrex Swift R Mid GTX W Boot
This Adidas boot may not be on the radar of the typical outdoor person, but its impressive design and ergonomic structure all qualify it as a suitable choice of footwear for long day hikes and casual backpacking trips.
- – At under 2 pounds, these boots are quite lightweight and comfortable to walk around. They are also super easy to take on and off according to convenience.
- They sport a casual and chic design with a rugged exterior that is hardened to stay intact even in the face of abrasion.
- The rubber outsole offers substantial traction and gives you good grip for stepping over tricky terrain.
- The single-pull design fails to offer the perfect fit and increases the degree of discomfort when you are covering long miles with a backpack on.
- The speed laces may be ideal for running shoes but come across as less appealing for hiking boots.
All in all, the Terrex Swift R Mid GTX by Adidas is a stable choice of footwear that provides impressive chassis and traction for handling rocky terrains and muddy slopes with ease. Its lightweight and flexible constructions makes it suitable for longer day hikes.
15. Oboz Women’s Sawtooth Mid BDRY Hiking Boot
With the Oboz Women’s Sawtooth, you can step on puddles, climb steep terrains and even hike for hours at a stretch, without rolling your ankles or getting sore and soggy feet. This high-end hiking boot features a plush forefoot foam and fully waterproof covering to give you the confidence and security you need to tackle unpredictable hikes without any fear. In terms of durability, comfort, and fit, these boots rank high!
- The boot features a massive rubber cup for improved protection against blisters and bruises. Additionally, there is extra rubber enhancements on the heel area to offset the pressure during long hikes.
- The boots are spacious, soft and airy on the inside and require a minimal break-in period.
- The flexible yet sturdy rubber outsole enhances surface friction and negates the possibility of slippage. It includes an ergonomic design that increases grip in all directions, regardless of how wet the terrain is.
- The padded footbed is not just comfy but also fitted with a substantial arch for premium support. The structured heel cup minimizes fatigue and eases the rigors of outdoor adventures.
- The boot features a breathable and waterproof polyurethane layer, as well as firmly secured, gusseted tongue. Both of these act in concert to render complete protection from rain water and creek water.
- Temperature control is not the best with this boot, and you will probably feel the urge to take off your boots after 8 hours to let the sweat evaporate out and feel more comfortable.
- The boots are pretty heavy if you consider the weight standards set for women’s hiking boots.
If you are looking for a reasonably comfortable shoe with some boot-like characteristics for short-length hiking on moderately uneven terrain, then this might be your ticket. But if you are looking for footwear that can handle rugged trails featuring elevation gain, you may want to look elsewhere. Overall, Oboz Bridger Mid BDry is suitable for backpacking tours with light load in a cold and dry environment.
Any outdoor adventure calls for the right kind of footwear because no one wants to end up with sore feet miles away from home. And the next obvious question is which one is better, hiking shoe or hiking boot. Well, one of the primary departments where hiking shoes have a leverage is in their weight. Hiking boots often weigh a few ounces more and have the danger of weighing you down, especially if you are not accustomed to traveling long distances in lesser known paths. Boots do offer more protection from snow, mud and water, but they are definitely warmer as well, and do not feature that airy and bouncy feel characteristic to the shoes. Overall, if you are looking to lug on light loads on day hikes and do not demand much in terms of ankle support, you are better off with a pair of hiking shoes.
In the following section, we have rounded up 8 popular styles of the top men’s hiking shoes that are sure to win you over with their innovation, design and features.
1. Merrell Men’s Moab Ventilator Hiking Shoe
Merrell Men’s Moab Ventilator is the ultimate answer for anyone looking to avail comfort, traction and top-notch weight support on a hiking trip. This shoe is rugged on the outside and cushy on the inside, giving your feet a nice and airy feel regardless of the weather outside. The long-lasting comfort keeps your feet rested and safe even after hours of rough hiking.
- The mesh upper of the shoe features a protective toe bumper, as well as a heel counter to minimize the effects of wearing out on your feet.
- The midsole has air cushioning that prevents your feet from feeling the effects of shock and abrasion every time you step on an obstacle.
- The Vibram rubber outsole enhances grip over wet and dry terrain and reinforces your confidence for hiking across unknown trails.
- The entire body of the shoe is breathable, water-resistant and light. It’s easy to clean as well.
- There are some durability issues with this shoe, and the construction is somewhat flimsy as compared to the counterparts.
- It lacks sufficient arch support.
These Merrell Moab hiking shoes tick all the boxes of a robust and rugged footwear that performs well on ultra-hot hiking trips and long-distance adventures in wet weather. You can even wear them out for exploring canyons or hiking through the desert.
2. KEEN Men’s Targhee II Hiking Shoe
Crafted with quality materials and featuring a sporty design, the KEEN Men’s Targhee II is easily one of the most tried hiking shoes out there. It comes with the signature waterproof protection that stands up to wet climate and keeps your feet dry and odor-free even after long hikes. It also features a contoured secure heel for premium ankle support.
- The slim toe profile of the shoe gives a precise fit and keeps your feet steady enough to prevent slippage and missteps on unstable terrain.
- The easy-on heel pull makes it fun to strap on and diminishes the need to bend down and adjust the lacing every now and then.
- The outsole is designed to even out the pressure of walking for long hours on unfavorable hiking environment, and lends all-round traction to prevent tripping over obstacles.
- The shoes are padded on the inside and accommodate easily around your feet, giving you the torsional stability you need to conquer rough trails.
- The lace eyes tend to wear out with time
- Some users complain that the shoes are not as durable as is expected from a hiking shoe of this range.
Despite some minor letdowns, the KEEN Men’s Targhee II doesn’t disappoint. It’s doesn’t need a break-in period and is comfortable from day one. Plus, it’s designed to adjust according to the natural contours of your feet and support any movement you make. And the foot support offered by the shank and midsole makes it a great choice for hiking with light-to-medium loads.
3. Salomon Men’s X Ultra 2 GTX Hiking Shoe
A high-performance, long-distance trekking/hiking shoe, the Salomon X Ultra II GTX comes with a wide spectrum of features that make it perfect for people with arthritic issues and back problems. With an abrasion-resistant nylon upper and Gore-Tex waterproof lining, the shoe is designed to keep your toes safe when hiking on rough terrain. Plus, it’s engineered with the 3D Chassis that consists of carefully designed components to keep your foot protected and safe. Additionally, the shoe also features the QuickLace unit that can be tightened easily by a single pull.
- This shoe is comfortable right out of the box and eliminates the regular soreness that arises from wearing new shoes.
- It’s lightweight and doesn’t drag you down as you stomp through thick mud and water puddles.
- The design is versatile and every part is more or less detachable, so you can easily add a lift or extra inserts for greater support and protection.
- The shoe is fitted with a unique Contagrip outsole that enhances durability and protection around areas that are more susceptible to wear out, such as the heel and toes. It also helps to even out the pressure falling on the feet and distributing weight to reduce stress on the heels.
- The water resistance is not very reliable and tends to wear off with time.
- The quick-lace technology renders little adjustability than the casual lacing system featured by other comparable shoes.
Salomon X Ultra II GTX is a remarkable trekking shoe the performs exceptionally well for its price. It offers a great combination of cushioning, stability and comfort to improve the quality of your hike and reduce the stress of staying on your feet for prolonged hours. Overall, it’s suitable for anyone who wants a heavy-built trekking shoe at a reasonable cost.
4. Adidas Men’s Terrex Swift R Hiking Sneaker Shoes
Sporting a sleek and stylish design with hiking-specific features, the Adidas Men’s Terrex Swift R is a lightweight and supportive answer to anyone looking to conquer cumbersome day hikes. This shoe is quick to lace up and offers a surefooted grip, thereby alleviating the possibility of missteps and subsequent injuries. While it’s not exactly water, it is completely breathable and even help you stomp through puddles and mud without getting your feet wet.
- The midsole of the shoe is integrated with an adiPRENE insert that enhances shock absorption and helps you maintain an upright posture irrespective of the hiking terrain.
- The rubber outsole is designed to increase grip on wet surface and forgive missteps.
- The rubber outsole is designed to increase grip on wet surface and forgive missteps.
- The lightweight EVA midsole increases padding aroung the feet, thereby negating the need to stop and rest for comfort.
- The quick-lace system that tightens the lace is hard to loosen. Also, since it’s made of plastic, the shoes can make an annoying sound of plastic laces hitting each other.
- The toe box is slightly narrow as compared to other shoes of the same range. Initially, it tends to graze the small toe a bit for some users, but with repeated use, it stretches to a comfortable size.
Overall, the Adidas Men’s Terrex Swift R shoes get full marks for living up to its hype. While it is not ideal footwear for walking on snow or ice, it is definitely a great choice for light day hikes and running on trails. With this shoe, you can finally bid good riddance to bruised heels and painful heels.
5. Vasque Men’s Juxt Multi-Sport Shoe
The Vasque Juxt Multi-Sport hiking shoe is definitely one of the most multi-functional footwear you will ever own. It features a sporty, modish design that complements any backdrop, right from the desert to the office. In addition to being supportive for everyday use, they are ultra padded to give you sufficient comfort for walking non-stop without breaks. Basically, if you are looking for a hiking shoe with boot-like characteristics and more support than your ordinary sneakers, then the Vasque Men’s Juxt should be your answer.
- The outsole is engineered with the Vasque’s OTC technology that enhances grip on slick and jerky surfaces.
- The midsole is fitted with a molded EVA TPU panel that absorbs the shock of stepping on sudden protrusions and bends of an uneven terrain, as well as lends extra support to your feet.
- The Arc Tempo offers greater support to your ankle.
- The toe box is roomy enough for people with arthritic feet. It keeps you comfortable even during lengthy hikes.
- These shoes feature a long and narrow fit that is not suitable for people with wider feet.
- They are not waterproof in any way, though the uppers can be considered as water-resistant.
Overall, the Vasque Men’s Juxt has been rated highly by hikers, military men and women, as well as trail runners. While it is not the ideal heavy-duty footwear for hiking on the Appalachian Trail with a heavy load, it is certainly perfect for most running and hiking trails. It offers a unique mix of flexibility and support to help you adjust your feet naturally on rock scrambles and muddy trails. And it’s exceptionally versatile, so you can even wear them to the office without looking crazy!
6. Columbia Men’s Granite Ridge Waterproof Hiking Shoe
Whether you are thru-hiking, or cruising on steep switchbacks, you need a pair of shoes that absorbs the shock of bumpy terrain and delivers the right amount of traction to help you focus more on the adventures and less on your feet. Well, the Granite Ridge Hiker does just that! It features a unique combination of cushioning, support and fit, giving you a lively and airy feel that you will surely appreciate when you are away from home on your feet all day!
- The rugged leather body makes the shoe tough and heavy-duty yet lightweight. The textile uppers hold their ground even in the face of abrasion.
- These shoes are 100% waterproof but only till the ankles. So you can step in streams and puddles and still stay dry as long as the water doesn’t rise over the shoe ridge.
- The advanced Omni-GripTM rubber outsole lends premium traction on wet and dry areas, thereby negating the chance of slippage and sprain.
- The comfortable microfleece lining keeps your feet soft and snug even when the outer environment is hard and rugged.
- These shoes are not as breathable as they claim to be, so your feet might stay sweaty at the end of a lengthy summer hike. However, this problem can be managed by taking them off after every one or two hours.
- They do require a minimal break-in period.
The combination of abrasion-proof leather and webbed upper makes this shoe unparalleled in terms of comfort and ankle support. So no more hip pain or ankle pain; These shoes come with sufficient cushioning to keep you comfy and snug during prolonged outdoor adventures. And the seam-sealed construction stays taught and intact even in the face of awry weather and rough terrain.
7. New The North Face Men’s Hedgehog Fastpack GTX Hiking Shoes
The North Face Men’s Hedgehog Fastpack hiking shoes feature a unique combination of design and technology. They have supportive and protective components to make hard hikes easy, and flaunt a full-grain leather body that is strong enough to stand up to the ravages of Mother Nature. There is a scratch-rubber tip to provide extra protection to your delicate toes from rocks, as well as the patent Vibram sole to give you a solid grip over any sort of terrain. To top it all, it includes waterproof protection to keep your comfortable in erratic weather.
- At just 2.2 lbs, this shoe is lightweight and roomy, giving your feet a nice and airy feel when you walk in them.
- It comes with a solid rubber sole that lends great traction for treading on trails strewn with obstacles. Despite having a flexible structure, it’s extremely sturdy and offers great foot support to give you a good grip over slippery surfaces.
- It features a waterproof and breathable covering that is potent enough to shield your feet from rain water, creek water and puddles.
- The leather upper is abrasion-resistant and keeps your feet protected from shocks and injuries.
- There are some durability concerns with these shoes, as some users complain that the seams tend to come apart after extensive use. However, a quick trip to the cobbler and they should get fixed in no time!
- These shoes do need a break-in period.
The North Face Men’s Hedgehog Fastpack shoes are the new representation of design innovation and technology. They are just the type of gear you need to push the boundaries of adventure and explore untrodden paths without the fear of getting injured or uncomfortable. No wonder, these shoes are the top choice of the world’s most successful climbers, snowboarders, mountaineers and runners.
8. Ahnu Men’s Coburn Low Waterproof Hiking Shoe
The Ahnu Coburn hiker has all the traits to become your go-to shoe for trudging on slick and muddy trails with heavy loads. It’s an aggressive, mid-height hiking shoe designed for rugged terrain, and equipped with an ultra breathable waterproof technology. Despite being lightweight and extra roomy, the shoe is engineered to confer a concise fit to your feet and support balance on bumpy surfaces.
- This shoe features a solid rubber toe protector that prevents your feet from getting stubbed at the slightest contact with rocks and stones. It keeps painful injuries at bay and enhances comfort during a rough hike.
- The upper is fitted with multi-directional lugs that allow your feet to maintain a steady grip over the terrain and flex as and when needed to avoid slippage.
- It has a gusseted tongue as well, to keep the debris from entering the shoe and harming your feet. The upper is fully breathable with an e-vent cover that allows sweat vapor to escape, keeping your feet dry and clean.
- These shoes feature the advanced Numentum Hike technology that makes it flexible and stable on uneven terrain.
- As a mid-height, lightweight shoe, it offers great ankle support for those times when you are lugging on a heavy backpack or stand a good chance of getting a tiresome sprain or blister on your ankles.
- These shoes may feel a bit stiff at first and require some time to break-in, but with repeated use they fit well.
Ahnu Coburn hiking shoes perform well on the mountain, as well as on the trail, and can easily tackle light- To-medium trail functions. Besides being truly waterproof and robust enough to withstand rough use, they are lightweight and offer premium ankle support that makes them suitable for any backcountry adventure.
There is absolutely nothing that can compare to the feeling of being out in the midst of fresh, unpolluted air. Yet, the vagaries of Mother Nature can deter even the bravest of city girls. Nevertheless, the only shield of protection you can depend on is a reliable pair of hiking shoes. They come with anti-fatigue soles that lend excellent traction on both wet and dry surfaces to keep you from slipping off a trail and getting injured in the process. Additionally, they encourage the natural mechanics of your feet, allowing you to flex and grip over uneven terrain with confidence.
If you are new hiker, or looking to participate in long hikes, you are better off with a high-top, or above-the-ankle hiking shoe. The latter comes with sufficient support and stability to ease the stress of extended hikes and heavy backpacks. On the other hand, low-top shoes are more on the lighter side and are recommended for short trips rather than long-distance hikes on well-worn trails.
Now that you know what you are looking for, it’s time we delve into the most sought-after hiking shoes for women. Here is a roundup of the best in the market.
1. KEEN Women’s Voyageur Hiking Shoe
A well-constructed hiking shoe that is definitely better than an average hiking boot, the Voyageur from the house of KEEN is a mid-to-low hiker with a mesh upper, stiff rubber outsole and dual-density EVA midsole, to give you the maximum in terms of support, comfort and protection. On the inside, it features plenty of room and padding to cradle your feet even when you have walked for miles at a stretch.
- These shoes offer full foot coverage, while being breathable and stiff in the process. The detachable EVA footbed minimizes the shock of accidentally treading on sharp stones or thorns along the trail.
- The shoe is engineered with an S3 heel suspension to lend protection around the exposed areas of your feet, including your heel and toes.
- There is plenty of room in the toe box, in order to ensure comfort both without or without socks. Plus, there is adequate cushioning underneath the heel, so you won’t feel tired even after long hours of hiking.
- The leather upper is fitted with mesh panels to enhance breathability. There are pull-on loops as well, to allow for a more customized fit.
- These shoes are neither waterpoof, nor water-resistant so if you are planning to hike along riverbeds, or in the rain, you may want to consider another option.
- The rubber on the KEEN shoes’ sole is a bit too stiff to flex and provide sufficient grip on slippery surfaces like other hikers that use Vibram soles. As such, there is always the danger of sliding off of wet and hard surfaces.
Long story short, if you have relatively wide feet, and are looking for a lightweight and comfy pair of hikers at a reasonable price point, the KEEN Women’s Voyageur Hiking Shoe is your answer. Just make sure you use it on dry terrain as it offers poor traction on wet surfaces.
2. Merrell Women’s Moab Waterproof Hiking Boot
A lightweight and plush hiking shoe with plenty of intelligent detailing to deliver excellent performance, the Merrell Women’s Moab hiking shoe sports a durable leather upper and a roomy interior that wraps around your feet, cushioning it even in the face of abrasion.
- The mesh lining on the upper improves breathability and allows the shoe to dry quickly when soaked.
- The shoe comes fitted with a Vibram sole, which is essentially known for its strong resilience to wear and tear. Also, it offers praiseworthy traction on stone trails and loose gravel.
- There is air cushioning on the heel to minimize the effects of hard rocks and slick surfaces, and keep your feet secure and protected all day.
- The molded nylon shank increases arch support and gives you enough grip to climb steep trails without slipping.
- These shoes are not waterproof, however, the good news is that they are breathable, which makes them perfect for hot and dry weather.
Overall, these Merrell shoes excel at short daylight hikes in hot and dry weather. While they may not be the #1 choice for walking on sandstone or slick surfaces, it’s particularly built for fast-paced hiking on flat terrain. It is also great for hiking in the canyons or canoeing, as it dries quickly when soaked.
3. Ahnu Women’s Sugarpine Air Mesh Hiking Shoe
Ahnu’s Women’s Sugarpine Air Mesh shoes embody the basic concept of a hiking shoe. They are comfortable, supportive and waterproof! In fact, they fit and feel just like an athletic shoe and are often considered as the lightweight version of a hiking boot.
- This shoe features a neutral positioning technology to encourage the natural mechanics of your feet. It is designed to distribute your body weight, in order to promote a more stable and balanced stride.
- Thanks to the reliable Vibram sole, the soles of the shoe are made to deliver superb traction on bumpy roads.
- There is extra room around the big toe to prevent your feet from feeling the impact of hard obstacles.
- The heel strap is adjustable, to help you customize the shoe accordingly and create a more personalized fit.
- You may want to wear higher socks with these shoes as they tend to rub a little on the ankles.
- The mesh may allow dirt and sand to enter your feet, so this shoe is not the best choice for hiking on the beach.
Ahnu Women’s Sugarpine Air Mesh incorporates every detail you need to ace long-distance hikes in erratic weather. It features a lightweight, everyday build that is sure to lend itself both on track and off-trail. Whether you are suffering from a sore lower back, or have flat feet, these shoes have all the support and protection you need on for your toes, heel and outsole.
4. Oboz Women’s Sawtooth Low Hiking Shoe
With a flashy, appealing design and a stable construction, the Oboz Women’s Sawtooth might just end up being the most-used shoe in your wardrobe. Fitted with stable, adjustable parts that represent modern technology, this hiking shoe is an example of footwear that is lightweight yet sturdy.
- The shoe is neither too narrow nor too wide, and thus fits feets of all sizes perfectly well!
- The area around the heel is snug and offers a personalized fit without feeling too tight. Plus, it keeps your feet from sliding.
- There is a unique plastic shank that runs along the entire length of the shoe, giving incredible support to people with plantar fasciitis.
- The dual density EVA midsole comes fitted with a nylon shank to prevent your feet from flexing in a bid to attain better grip over the terrain.
- If your heel is too narrow, these shoes may not be right for you.
- Additionally, they lack sufficient arch support for people with a relatively high arch.
Oboz Women’s Sawtooth integrates novel features to maximize the support and durability you deserve for feeling protected all day long in the trails. It is anatomically built to suit your needs of an active lifestyle, and lasts long before you can even think of a replacement.
5. Salomon Women’s X Ultra Prime Hiking Shoe
Just because you prefer high performance and fit, that doesn’t mean you have to go for overly technical hiking footwear. Combining design innovation with a minimalistic style, the X Ultra Prime hiking shoe is built to deliver underfoot support and great precision on track.
- This shoe features a unique, low-cut style with a 1.5-inch heel to allow maximum freedom of movement and ease of walking.
- The textile upper has mesh panels to allow breathability of feet and keep them dry and airy in hot weather.
- The upper is fitted with a protective rubber toe that includes potent anti-abrasion properties to stave off the entry of debris and subsequent injuries.
- There is a gusseted tongue as well that provides extra protection from debris, and that too without coming in contact with your toes.
- This shoe integrates the novel Sensifit technology, which allows it to wrap around your feet, and lock them in place to allow for a more confident stride.
- It’s difficult to hook up the laces through the shoe, and as a result, they tend to slip on the sides when walking.
- It doesn’t provide as much arch support as other renowned hiking shoes.
Whether you are looking to cross muddy terrain, or climb steep slopes without slipping, the Salomon Women’s X Ultra hiking shoe won’t let you down. The level of arch support, and cushioning it offers is practically unparalleled, and its intuitive detailing makes it a lot better than its pricier counterparts.
6. Merrell Women’s Siren Edge Hiker
The Siren Edge hiker from the house of Merrell is designed with comfort in mind. It’s breathable, cushioned and contoured the accommodate the natural motions of your feet. Plus, it features a stiff yet roomy interior that makes it suitable for wearing with orthotic support and additional inserts. The dependable Vibram rubber outsole further makes it a solid choice of footwear to conquer long trail hikes.
- These shoes are lightweight yet robust, so you can be sure of getting years of use with them.
- They have a breathable mesh panel with a quick lace-up closure to make for a snug and secure fit.
- The bellow tongue fitted on the shoe upper flicks out the debris and that too without touching your toes in an annoying way.
- The EVA contoured footbed comes with odor control to keep your feet dry and odorless all day. There is air cushioning too around the heel area to allow shock absorption and keep you steady even when the road gets bumpy.
- The area of the sole lacks adequate cushioning, however, you can fix this problem by fitting gel inserts or wearing thick hiking socks.
- These shoes tend to have a strong smells of chemicals when they are new.
All in all, the Merrell Women’s Siren Edge Hiker lives up to its claims. While it is not really waterpoof and heavy-duty, it is certainly burly enough to withstand varied terrain and give you the grip you need to stay on your feet on lengthy hikes in erratic weather. It comes with air cushioning around the exposed parts of your feet and features a sturdy make to ensure years of satisfactory usage.
7. Columbia Women’s Plains Ridge WMNS Low Hiking Shoes
Contrary to the more regular hiking sneakers for women out there, Columbia Plains Ridge Hiking Shoe features a low-cut collar style. It is made of pure leather and breathable mesh fabric, which utilizes webbing technology to allow air to go in and out. The Omni-Grip rubber outsole provides a bounce on your feet, and ensures you leave no skid marks on the floor, while the Techlite midsole minimizes the impact of your weight on your feet and keeps blisters at bay.
- These shoes are designed to offer the perfect fit, in addition to sufficient toe room and arch support. You won’t feel the need to take them off after every few hours to feel comfortable and relax.
- The sole is super durable and doesn’t leave any marks behind. It provides commendable traction on track and doesn’t disappoint even when the terrain gets awfully wet.
- The Techlite midsole is engineered to keep your feet light and airy, and give you maximum comfort when you are trudging for hours in the sun.
- The presence of webbing overlays enhances the breathability of the shoe, and allows your feet to inhale/exhale, thereby making you feel as though you’re walking barefoot.
- The leather seams tend to come apart after extensive use, but a quick trip the the cobbler and this should be fixed.
Overall, if you are looking for a better replacement of your daily sneakers and don’t quite prefer the heavy and clunky hiking boots, this lightweight hiking shoe is suitable for you. They come with the guarantee of precise fit and durable functioning on track. And the fact that they come in earthy colors make them apt for outdoor ventures involving lots of dust and dirt.
8. Vasque Women’s Inhaler II Low Hiking Shoe
The Vasque Inhaler II Low hiking shoe represents the modern hiking shoe in many ways. Firstly, it’s stiff and burly enough to handle rocky scrambles, and yet it’s fairly lightweight and breathable. Additionally, it is suitable for a high-speed hiker or ultralight backpacker who doesn’t demand much in terms of waterproofing. By trimming excess weight, Vasque has managed to avoid the common pitfalls that characterized run-of-the-mill hiking footwear. It has retained all the important components, including a durable mesh and tough leather exterior.
- The reinforced big toe bumper provides protection from unforeseen stubbing or bruises. It keeps your feet secure from the effects of abrasion and helps you travel comfortably for long hours.
- The shoe comes fitted with a sticky rubber that ensures solid grip over slippery and uneven terrains, and provides as much support as the more expensive rock-climbing shoes.
- The molded midsole lends sufficient traction and protects your feet like a heavy-duty running shoe.
- The perforated mesh panels fitted over the toe and heel area allows your feet to breathe and stay dry and odor-free all day.
- The shoes tend to squeak initially, especially if you wear them without socks, but with repeated use, they do fine.
- Vasque Inhaler II Low is built in a way to accommodate long and narrow feet. As such, it is not meant for people with a wider and heavier built.
Vasque Inhaler II Low shoes are designed to minimize the rigors of trekking miles away from home. They incorporate innovative technology with ergonomic design to improve the quality of your adventures and keep your feet light and snug. They are exactly the kind of footwear you need if you are planning to cover some particularly rugged trails, strewn with dirt and rocks.
Backpacking Boots or Hiking Boots?
In case you’re wondering, backpacking boots are different from hiking boots. They are designed to carry more weight and have stiffer midsoles that are suitable for walking long distances at a stretch. Moreover, they come with reinforced ankle support to help you carry heavy backpacks without putting too much pressure on your ankles.
With hiking boots, you get the confidence to travel through inches deep slush and slippery or rocky trails without getting a painful ache or a sore blister. In addition to a sturdy exterior hardened for abuse, they come with a coarse structured sole that prevents you from skidding. If you are trudging with a heavy backpack, you should certainly consider these boots as they provide more ankle coverage and help you maintain an upright posture, thereby offsetting the pressure in your neck and shoulders.
Long story short, any sort of hiking becomes invariably easier with hiking boots, but they are an absolute necessity if your trail is particularly rocky, uneven, covered in roots and remarkably steep.
Hiking Shoes for a Lighter Experience
Hiking may have tons of benefits on your mind and body, but the right kind of gear might actually be the deciding factor that either enhances or deteriorates your experience. Indeed, a comfortable and well-fitting pair of hiking shoes that is in tune with the rigors of the terrain can divert your focus from your feet to the pleasures of wandering in the lap of Mother Nature. On the other hand, an ill-fitting, flimsy pair of shoes can give you blisters and achy feet that are bound to ruin what could have been a fabulous outing.
Ideal hiking shoes feature durable soles with superb traction and midsole detailing that primarily focus on increasing foot support for walking with moderate loads. They also contain waterproof linings to shield your feet from the effects of erratic weather and challenging terrain. Touted as the most popular footwear choice for day hikes, hiking shoes manage to strike the right balance between support and comfort, keeping you light, nimble and comfortable all day. They are thought to be more comfy than boots, and yet offer the same amount of traction. And the fact that they are more durable than ordinary trail runners makes them suitable for any back-country adventures. Most importantly, they are lightweight, and as a result, ideal for beginners, as well as people who are skeptical about trudging on a pair of burly boots for long hours.